The Cayman Islands Government continue to keep the safety of our community a top priority. Agreeing to a defined period of quarantine will greatly contribute to our COVID-19 progress and slow return to a state of normality. This includes compliance with PCR testing, adherence to rules of the geofencing technology and various other safety precautions.
If you are: a Caymanian, permanent residence holder, work permit holder, residential property owner, student with a visa, someone with close family ties to Cayman, a Global Citizen or have been approved by TravelCayman, it is your choice to Quarantine at your home rather than a government-led facility. If you choose to Quarantine in your residence, you must agree to the terms and conditions of the Quarantine at Residence Programme. This includes wearing your geofencing monitoring device at all times that creates a virtual perimeter around your quarantine location and having your quarantine location inspected so that it can be approved by the Medical Officer of Health.
BEFORE YOU TRAVEL:
If you are participating in the Quarantine at Residence programme and you have other persons in your household, all members of the household will be subject to the same requirements. When you are applying for your 'Certificate to Travel', you must provide airport staff and/or TravelCayman with the following information prior to your arrival:
- Evidence of a negative COVID-19 PCR test - travellers (aged 10 and older) must provide a negative PCR test result taken no more than 72 hours to departure on their flight to the Cayman Islands. Your test results will be checked by an airline representative when you get to the airport. You can provide either a paper or electronic copy. Rapid antigen or antibody tests are not accepted.
- The address of your quarantine location and any instructions that will help inspectors locate the property. Your desired quarantine at residents needs to be approved via TravelCayman, often via a home inspection, before you will receive permission to travel.
- The name and contact number of someone who will be able to provide the inspectors with access to the inside of the property (if deemed necessary).
- The name and date of birth of anyone who is travelling with you and will be quarantining at the location.
- The contact details of anyone who is not travelling with you but will reside in the household while you quarantine, so that they can be enrolled in the Quarantine at Residence Programme.
If you wish to participate in the Quarantine at Residence Programme, your quarantine location must be inspected and approved before your application to travel to the Cayman Islands can be approved. As such, you should provide TravelCayman with the required information as soon as you can.
One of the key things inspectors are looking for is that your quarantine location does NOT have common areas (e.g. kitchen or living room) that you are sharing with other people. If there are other people who live in the home or apartment that you are quarantining in they will also have to quarantine. If you are renting a room in a house/apartment and other people live in that house/apartment, you cannot quarantine there unless everyone else in that house/apartment is also going to quarantine. If there are other people that live in the home/apartment that you would like to quarantine in, and they are not going to quarantine with you, you will need to make alternative arrangements.
If you are not a Caymanian or a Permanent Resident (i.e. you are a work permit holder or visitor) and you don’t have a private residence to quarantine in, or your private residence is not likely to get approved you must book a private facility for your quarantine. Please contact those facilities directly to book your accommodations, and then provide TravelCayman with the reservation details.
As a whole, your quarantine location must meet the following requirements:
- Access to running water and electricity;
- Access to bathroom facilities that are in good working order and NOT shared with persons outside of the quarantining group, and provide a shower/bath, toilet and sink and a supply of hot and cold water;
- Access to kitchen facilities that are not shared with any persons outside of the quarantining group, with access to hot and cold water;
- Adequate ventilation, with a window(s) that can be opened to allow fresh air to circulate.
- Where there is air-conditioning, there is a self-contained air-handling system, which ensures that units do not circulate air to other residences.
- Access to either kerbside pickup for garbage or a central garbage area.
- Access for the delivery of foods and medications.
- Access by the Mobile Compliance Team to conduct random checks over the period of quarantine.
As a participant in the Quarantine at Residence Programme you will be allowed to Quarantine at your chosen accommodation rather than a Government or private facility. This means that you will be required to:
- wear an iMSafe smart wristband;
- quarantine in an accommodation location which has been approved by the Medical Officer of Health;
- COVID-19 on day 8 or day 15, depending on your vaccination status; and
- remain in isolation for a minimum of 7/14 days, after which a negative test result signed off by the Medical Officer of Health will be required for your period in quarantine to cease.
If you live with other people, all members of your household are subject to the same restrictions and must also:
- wear an iMSafe smart wristband;
- quarantine in your approved accommodation location;
- undergo COVID-19 testing on day 8/15 (depending on whether or not you live with children and your vaccination statuses); and
- remain in isolation for a minimum of 7/14 days, after which a negative test result signed off by the Medical Officer of Health will be required in order for your quarantine period to cease.
Should you or any members of your household leave your approved quarantine location, or otherwise not comply with the conditions of participation in this testing phase issued by the Medical Officer of Health, you will be in breach of the Control of COVID-19 Regulations, 2021. You may then be required to complete the remainder of your quarantine period in a Government quarantine facility. If the breach amounts to a criminal offence you may also be warned for prosecution.
Preparing for At-Home Quarantine
The idea of staying in your home may be frustrating, but there are things that you can do to help make it easier so that those 7/14 days fly by. The Cayman Islands Government have made the following recommendations:
- Talk to your employer, friends and family to ask for their help to access the things you will need ahead of your arrival.
- Think about and plan how you will access food and other supplies such as medications that you will need during this period.
- Plan to keep in touch with friends and family over the phone or through social media.
- Identify things you can do during your time at home; people who have successfully completed a period of staying at home have kept themselves busy with activities such as cooking, reading, online learning and watching films.
- Physical exercise is also good for your wellbeing; look for online classes or courses to help you take light exercise in your home.
Food Supplies and Deliveries
In all instances, whether ordering groceries or from restaurants, you should use suppliers who offer contactless payment and delivery, which means paying online and having the delivery left outside your door. This is because you (and your household) are not permitted to have direct contact with any individual delivering food, medicine or other supplies during your period of isolation. Additionally, you must not physically collect supplies until after the delivery person has left your front door, yard space or property vicinity. While your household is in quarantine, no visitors are allowed within the perimeter of your quarantine location.
All major grocery stores in the Cayman Islands offer delivery services and can be contacted as follows:
· Kirk Supermarket – Tel: (345) 949 7022 - www.kirkmarket.ky
· Hurleys Supermarket – Tel: (345) 947-8488 - www.hurleys.ky
· Fosters Supermarket – Tel: (345) 945 4748 - www.fosters.ky
A wide variety of restaurants on Island also deliver. Check out Cayman Good Taste for more details.