Wedding guests coming to Cayman with gifts for the bride and groom are legally required to declare the gifts and pay the relevant duty costs.
Most items will be charged 22% duty and any gifts sent by family and friends are also subject to duty. Common duty charges can range from 7% to 27%.
The duty applies to most gifts, except for books, cameras, crystal glassware and tableware and kitchenware made of porcelain or china.
Below is a list of common wedding gifts and their duty rate:
- Glassware of lead crystal – 0%
- Glassware of ceramics – 22%
- Wrist-watches and pocket watches – 7%
- Artwork, collector pieces and antiques – 22%
- Ceramic tableware/ kitchenware – 12%
- Linens – 22%
A full list can be found on the Customs & Border Control website.